Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Everyone read....and Participation Please

Hey yall. Thanks for your loving remarks. Hopefully we will be able to tell what it is at my appointment Thursday.

So, I don't know if any of the rest of you have high maintenance "go to sleepers" like I do. But my kids basically require, reading time, singing time, and cuddle time. I actually don't mind this schedule seeing as I have accepted the whole hermit lifestyle.... :)

So I thought I would ask everyone's opinions. If you have some, we are always looking for more diversity. So I would like everyone's input on their

1) Top 5 favorite kids books.

2) Top 5 favorite songs to sing to your kids (preferably not a typical nursery song or primary song, we have a wrap on all those)

Here are mine in case you were wondering.
1)
No Matter What by Debi Gliori


Heaven is Having You by
Giles Andreae


Parts and More Parts by Tedd Arnold



Alice the Fairy by David Shannon


I Know a Rhino by Charles Fuge


We also really really like all the 'How does a Dinosaur' books. and I love you stinky Face

2) Favorite songs to sing.
- Edelweiss from Sound of Music
- Come to My Garden from the original broadway musical of Secret Garden
- Round Shouldered Man from Secret Garden (FYI almost all the music from this play is AMAZING)
- Stay Awake from Mary Poppins
- Castle in a Cloud from Les Miserables
- And occasionally Wishing you were Somehow Here Again from Phantom (although I am sure I never sing the verses in the right order)!



So read a new book and sing your kids a new song!

4 comments:

Nathan and Colleen said...

I love getting my books from Desseret Industries. I look for books with beautiful pictures and not too many words. The Little Critter books are also fun and simple.

As far as music, I've always liked the Court Jester Lulliby, "I'll take you dreaming."

Mitch and Holly said...

Holy Cow, we love books. I can't narrow it down to 5. But I have all girls, so of course we love Pinkalicious and the rest of the pinkallicious books. We love Fancy Nancy and Junie B. Jones books. But some of my favorite we have gotten from Book orders are: Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, Library Lion, Pirate Pete's Talk Like A Pirate (but it must be read using a pirate voice and a whimpy english accent), Llama Llama Mad At Mama, and A Visitor For Bear

Now for songs; I like to sing the old song "Dream a Little Dream of Me". My girls like "Puff the Magic Dragon". I also sing an old choir song "Away From the Roll of the Sea". But I love to sing two Sesame Street songs, both sung by ernie; "I Don't want to Live on the Moon" and "Dance Myself to Sleep"

Tara H said...

Your songs are much more original, my kids are happy with rock a bye baby, hush little baby still. LOL
But as for books- hmmm. We currently love the Berenstein Bears, Poppleton and Mr Putter and Tabby series. There is a series of Disney books our old neighbor gave to us- there are like 20 of them and each one teaches a new thing like color mixing, counting, safety, travel, weather, opposites, you name it. It's one of the mail order series, but I bet you might find someone selling them somewhere. My kids loved those about a year ago- I think yours are a little younger than mine?

Nathan and Colleen said...

You should also sing them the songs from "My Turn on Earth." I'm sure you still have those memorized. :)