Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A blessing- and- I need a little help please

A quick story for all my friends that would like to help.

I had my second choking experience with my children. Audrey was standing by Ethan as he was in his swing and she decided to be such a good big sister and share her grapes. I was in the other room for two seconds and the next thing I hear is choking. I ran in and grabbed him out of the swing and turned him upside down and was slapping his back before I even knew what I was doing. It thankfully was not down very far and only took a couple whacks before I heard his little cry. Then I had to reach into his mouth and get it out like it was bigger than he was used to opening.

THE BLESSING:

When Audrey choked (at about 15 months old) I had had a dream a week or so in advance about choking. I don’t remember the dream now, but it had caused me to think about learned skills I have had at various stages all my life of what to do in the emergency situation with a child. When it happened, I just reacted on instinct. It was a blessing that I had been taught several times what to do, but even more so that I had just reviewed it in my mind. The crazy blessing is that two days before this happened with Ethan; I had a dream about him choking. Not a pleasant thing but I once again had been going over in my mind what to do and was completely ready for it like I knew it was going to happen. The Lord truly helps us by personal revelation about what is important if we are worthy!

If you have not taken the time to prepare yourself for the unexpected with your children you MUST do this, because it can happen in an instant, and you might not have time to get help!


THE PROBLEM:

I looked Audrey very sternly in the face and with all the seriousness in my voice that I could muster told her that that was a big big no no and that I appreciated her wanting to share but that she was not to ever put things in Ethan’s mouth. I think she understood that she did something wrong, but I don’t know that she understands what just yet. I tried to talk to her seriously about it later again that day to get the message across and she wouldn’t really listen. She was kind of joking around and I had to put her on timeout to get her to realize it was important. I don’t know what I am doing wrong that she doesn’t react well to my trying to be serious. Maybe I try too often. How do I have a different serious tone for things like me wanting her to obey me and do something I ask, and then a different even more serious urgent tone when she needs to stop immediately what she is doing. I need some kind of freeze command that triggers complete attention. How do I do that? I don’t know. Like crying wolf, you have to save it for the things that you really mean it for. I don’t know. Is two too young to understand these serious principles? I don't think so, but I need to know what to do?! Any help????


To the most precious things I hold most dear in my life. I am so grateful for you and that you are ok!


3 comments:

laura said...

Becky! What a scary moment but what an amazing prepared mom you were. I am glad Ethan's okay!
I never cease to wonder at the Lord's hand in our lives. Everything matters and He does his all to help us be ready! And with Audrey--good luck, we never can tell how much they really understand, but it is often more than we think.

Emily said...

Yikes!! Glad you're such an in-tune mom. I don't know what to tell you with Audrey-if you figure it out, let me know!

Nathan and Colleen said...

I agree with Laura Lynn, Just keep at it with Audrey. You may have to review with her the rules regarding Ethan. She doesn't need to be shamed or made to feel guilty. She didn't know.

Talk to Audrey. It doesn't have to be in a stern voice just a matter of fact way. Tell her, "Only mommy feeds Ethan." Then ask, "Who feeds Ethan?" And have her tell Daddy or Grandma that only Mommy feeds Ethan, to reinforce it. Then try to quiz her on it latter in the day, by asking, "Who feeds Ethan?" And complement her when she tells you the correct answer. That's what I try to do.

Once they know the rules it's easier for them to be obedient. You can also try putting her in charge of making sure no one but mommy feeds Ethan. That works well with Amaya and then she feels like she's the big sister and wants to protect him.

I'm glad you were close and heard him choking.