Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Please of please don't take it for granted

I just wanted to write of the trauma of our weekend for those who wanted to know. Frankly I am tired of talking about it so i thought that this might be a better way to let people know.

I was buckling Ethan into the baby Bjorn chest carrier to get ready for a walk. Somehow (I can't quite recall how) Ethan fell out the top of the carrier. Unfortunately we were in the bathroom and he fell head first and hit the floor. Fortunately he was wearing one of those pajama bag things and I was able to catch him before his whole body hit the floor. However, the deafening crack of my three week old baby's head hitting the ground will forever stay in my mind. I lifted him back up and yelled immediately for Charles. His little head swelled immediately and I was scared out of my mind that it was blood and that I had just caused great injury. We got ice on it and rushed him immediately to the peds ER. They did a cat scan and xrays. There is a fracture in the skull but apparently no bleeding in the brain. They observed him overnight but the flood of prayers out way I am certain led to all the doctors giving a positive bill of health for the future. He acted like such a champ and behaved completely normal which is apparently one of the most important things. Everything should be completely fine so other than a headache for a while we just need to watch him. Recovery should be 4-6 weeks to heal completely. But we were extremely blessed to find out that it was not worse. I can't even express in words how grateful I am. There is no worse moment in life than to see your child hurt.

The thoughts I want to express to everyone out there are please oh please don't take anything for granted. In this moment when I was doing something routine and trying to juggle a grumpy two year old and an upset baby, I was frustrated and frazzled at the complexity and oh why me factor. I let my gaurd down. I was focused on something even just a little other than my primal concern. There is nothing i would choose to be doing than be a mother. So even in the moments when that is more overwhelming than i would like to admit, it is my choice and it has to be the most important thing at every moment. There has to be a limit to the multi tasking abilities of women. Please oh please do not forget what is absolutely important and what is the best thing to deserve your attention. It could change in a heartbeat!

Thank you to everyone who pored out their prayers on our behalf. I think it is because of this, that I was able to hold together and be strong and level headed. We love you all.

6 comments:

Blissful & Domestic said...

Oh my goodness I am so happy he is doing better and how scary. It is true though that even in our simple tasks we do each day if we let that guard down just for a minute things can happen. I am thankful little Ethan is ok.

Amanda said...

We're glad he's okay! We're praying for you!

Wagasky Family said...

Oh Becky!!! Thank goodness he will be alright. The whole situation sound horrible. I have thought about what if I were to drop my babies....it can and could easily happen to any frazzled mother. You are amazing and thank goodness we have the power of the priesthood and Heavenly Father on our side. Hope you guys get rest and have a very Merry Christmas! We must meet little Ethan soon. Take care Graf family.

Love the Wagaksys!
Andrea, Shane, Makenze, & Eastenn

deveney said...

oh my goodness girl, so glad little ethan is ok. you are such a good momma, don't let one mistake weigh you down:) we need to come see that little guy, we are thinking maybe we could swing it in febuary...not sure when, i will keep you posted. love you!

Sarah said...

Wow Becky!!!! I am so sorry! I am very happy that he is ok! Things like that can happen so quick, and before you know it your life is upside down! Please let me know when I can come meet this wonderful sweet boy! I am dying to see him! We hope you had a wonderful christmas/new year!

raffleckt said...

Becky, your mom filled me in on this a bit, but there is nothing like a mothers perspective. You are a wonderful mother at that!! Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the hard times, too. When I got to hold your handsome little guy the other night he seemed perfect in every way!